Re: Help!: Update Frame for Mac OSX; We Need Your Votes!

Lee,
> >No CoolType engine in an application - no Unicode and OpenType support
> >No Unicode - no XML
> >No XML - no new Frame+XSGML 8
> >No Unicode - no any new languages (Greek, CE or Cyrillic i.e.) support in
> >these applications
> >No Unicode - no cross-platform transparent document opening
> >No OpenType support - no advanced typhography use (ligatures, old style,
> >capitel) and cross-platform document/font utilization.
> >And so on.

Hi, Lee.
> That's silly. Full Unicode support has nothing to do with XML support, nor
is there any connection with CoolType. All three things together would be
exceptionally useful, but none of them require any of the others.
Thanks for getting me of your countenance. :-)
I 'd dislike to dispute here my trivial remark the elements of a triangle
[OpenType support/CoolType <=>base Unicode support<=>XML] are completely
interrelated.
Person who does understand these topics know very well it is not silly.
Therefore I just disagree your comments, sorry.

XML without the support of Unicode encoding scheme (ISO8859 based i.e.) is a
nonsence. Did you know how idiotic is a working procedure people use for the
creation of correct Unicode XML from Cyrillic, Greek or, say, Armenian,
Khmer and Thai FrameMaker documents (yes, it is possible)?
I'm sure, you didn't.

Did you know how disagreeable is a working procedure people use for the
cross-platform document porting of thousands Cyrillic, Greek or CE/Baltic
FrameMaker documents (UNIX<=>Mac<=>Windows)?

Did you know how unhappy are people forced hacking the FrameRoman
antediluvian encoding and FM locked codes for expansion of language support
in Frame line of products?

I can to be continued... offlist i.e.
All these topics are based on Unicode core support in an application.

OpenType support without Unicode is silly.
CoolType application without Unicode is silly.
XML support without Unicode is silly.
FrameMaker without Unicode is silly.
MacOS X native Carbon/Cocoa application without Unicode is ....
An so on. :-))

Dmitry.

> The next major release of FrameMaker won't be rewritten to be
Unicode-based, as much as I and everyone else would like that to happen.
Generalized Unicode is high on my list for the next++ release; serious
planning for that release hasn't started yet.