RE: Help!: Update Frame for Mac OSX; We Need Your Votes!

NO! No one from Adobe ever said that all of their next whole number
versions (x.0) are going to be "Carbonized". What we have said, quite
consistently since the first version of MacOS X was "released" a few
months back can be found at:
<http://www.adobe.com/products/adobesupportsOSX.html>

Specifically, you can find information about FrameMaker and MacOS X
at: <http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/framemakerOSX.html>
There are no plans to carbonize FrameMaker for the next major release.

I might further add that "campaigns" of the type urged below with a
"Mac fan magazine" will not have any positive effect other to start
stupid rumors again. And both users of FrameMaker and your friends
within Adobe need such rumors and media pressure like we need a third
head.

Lest anybody think that carbonization of an application is trivial,
let me assure you that it isn't. Adobe has been work on carbonization
of other applications and our core technologies for well over two
years now. The carbon specs have been fairly fluid over time and there
is still not a version of "carbonlib" that actually works well enough
for Adobe applications to function at a level under MacOS X that evens
functionality under MacOS 9.x and earlier. If you had a preference,
would you prefer the "neat and cool" of MacOS X or would you like to
be able to print?

Plus, the moment you carbonize, you force users of "classic Macs" to
upgrade to MacOS 9.1 at a minimum. Adobe is working with Apple to try
to not only fix carbonlib, but add base functionality under MacOS X
such that it is not PostScript and Type 1/OpenType brain-dead out of
the box.

So please, do Lee Richardson and team (as well as myself and other
Adobe employees who monitor these lists) a big favor and "cool your jets"
on this issue. We know you want FrameMaker native under MacOS X.
WE want FrameMaker native under MacOS X. Given the timing and resources
for the next version of FrameMaker AND the amount of work required to
get carbonization "right" once Apple supplies a working carbonlib and
OS, getting the next version of FrameMaker carbonized is just not
in the cards.

        - Dov

*