Re: Help!: Update Frame for Mac OSX; We Need Your Votes!

At 7:03 PM +0400 6/28/01, Dmitry Yunov wrote:

>No CoolType engine in an application - no Unicode and OpenType support
>No Unicode - no XML
>No XML - no new Frame+XSGML 8
>No Unicode - no any new languages (Greek, CE or Cyrillic i.e.) support in
>these applications
>No Unicode - no cross-platform transparent document opening
>No OpenType support - no advanced typhography use (ligatures, old style,
>capitel) and cross-platform document/font utilization.
>And so on.

That's silly. Full Unicode support has nothing to do with XML support, nor is there any connection with CoolType. All three things together would be exceptionally useful, but none of them require any of the others.

The next major release of FrameMaker won't be rewritten to be Unicode-based, as much as I and everyone else would like that to happen. Generalized Unicode is high on my list for the next++ release; serious planning for that release hasn't started yet.

...Lee