RE: changing to 2-column format in middle of file

Dear Irene,

Well, I didn't see any answers to this in my last weeks' scanning and
just got back to Framers after a holiday over the solstice and house
guests.

Just in case you still need this info, here's HOW one can do it in
Frame.

WARNING 1: this method lays it out but DOES NOT automatically flow the
two-column format with the two-column content. Finding a table solution
in Frame is better. But you can do it.

Warning: this method lets you change from a one-column flow to a
two-column flow and back, somewhat like Word, BUT...in Frame you must:

In Frame 6...(note, some behaviors may differ in 5.5.6)

1. Split the text frame on the page where you need to change from one
column to two-column. Put cursor before your "table" and select
Format/Customize Layout/Split Text Frame.
(In Word, this is a "section" break and can occur mid-page. Causes other
headaches, but this action is easier.) You'll get a warning about
untagged flows.

2. Click in the text frame where the table is, and set its layout to be
two columns. (Format/Customize Layout/Customize Text Frame)

3. See whether your "table" flows onto the following page at all.

4. Put cursor at the end of the table content and split the frame again.

5. Click in the frame below the table and set its layout to be one
column.

I'm sure there's a better way (me, when converting Word tables to Frame
tables, if they aren't tables I just stick in the necessary one or two
tabs in Word and copy the text over and then convert to table in Frame.
It's never pretty if the Word author used gobs of tabs to layout a table
by the typewriter method, instead of using real tables. I think from
your description, though, you could convert this to a Frame table and
clean it up faster than playing with split frames.

Either way, it's a challenge, like everything else in Microsoftland.  :)
Happy editing!

Deborah Snavely
Document Architect
Learning Products Engineering