RE: Help!: Update Frame for Mac OSX; We Need Your Votes!

The author of those articles clearly does not understand
technically what is going on underneath the "covers" of MacOS X.
By claiming that MacOS X and Quartz are built on "Adobe technology"
he demonstrates that lack of knowledge. Quartz is not built on
"Adobe Technology" ... the NeXT OS had Display PostScript, a
product that no longer really exists. Quartz is built upon
Apple's own implementation of a PDF interpretation and
creation system.

The author also seems to be upset that Adobe just wouldn't get
into all the hype over MacOS X. In fact, Adobe has been as open
as it could be (legally and practically) in terms of plans to
carbonize applications:

(1) We prefer not to make date commitments for carbonized versions.
We don't "preannounce" products more than at most a few months
before we have the highest confidence that they will actually ship.
Carbonization is just one feature of "next versions" of many of
our products. As it is, we have given as much or more information
about the carbonization as we have done for any other feature of
Adobe products. Note that we have publicly demonstrated technology
going into a future version of InDesign and that demonstration
did indeed showcase operation under MacOS X. We couldn't demonstrate
some of the features of the product simply because those aspects
of MacOS X are still in definition by Adobe and Apple, together,
and pending implementation by Apple. MacOS X is not really "done"
yet.

(2) Adobe is fully committed to achieving as much cross-platform
interoperability as possible, subject of course to OS and/or
development tool limitations. We understand the enthusiasm that
Mac users have over the "new start" that MacOS X brings to the
platform. We have high hopes for it over time. However, we are
not going to discontinue development of and/or cripple functionality
of our Windows versions of our products just to make MacOS X
look good or make Mac users feel better. Nor are we, contrary to
the beliefs of some Mac users, in some conspiracy against Apple
in cahoots with "the dark side" as they tend to refer to Microsoft.

Remember that the press makes its mark by reporting on controversy,
either real or synthesized. In this case, it is synthesized.
It is clearly in Adobe's best business interests to have carbonized
versions of its applications available as soon as possible. That
availability, however, will be in conjunction with our regular
product development and release process and will not be done before
we can assure that our customers will have software that provide
WORKING solutions, not just hype.

        - Dov