Re: Help!: Update Frame for Mac OSX; We Need Your Votes!

> The bottom line, quite simply, is that WE ALREADY KNOW that
> most Mac users, including Adobe's internal FrameMaker users
> on the Mac, want a MacOS X "native" version of FrameMaker ASAP.

The reason I posted my $.02 on the board was not _just_ to add another name
to the list of people saying "I want FrameMaker on OS X".

Rather, my hope is that by getting FrameMaker on MacWorld's radar, we just
might hear more about FrameMaker...
- in MacWorld
- in other Mac magazines
- from Adobe, regarding what's happening with the product

Adobe would love to see the end of the "Frame is dead" rumor syndrome. We
all would. But yet, Adobe does not market Frame with anything approaching
aggression -- or even assertiveness! -- nor does Adobe do much to let
current Frame users know that yes, indeed, development on Frame is
continuing. That is the IMPRESSION that many Frame users have, even if it is
not the reality.

<start anecdote>
I was at an STC meeting where a woman was bemoaning her difficulty with
getting an odd pagination scheme to work correctly in a 300+ page book. I
asked how she had set up the numbering on the various master pages. She gave
me a blank look: "Master pages? What are those?" She was using *Word*, and
had never heard of FrameMaker. And yes, she did her work on a Mac -- she was
using Office 98, I believe.

When I told her she should be using Frame, and why that would make her
pagination issues trivial by comparison, she was interested. She asked me
where she could find out more about Frame. The catch? It had to be from a
NON-Adobe source, so she could show her manager that *someone other than the
software manufacturer had good things to say about it*. And since her
manager was in the Training group, a magazine from the STC wouldn't carry
significant weight, either. With the exception of the STC's publications, I
couldn't think of a single magazine that discussed FrameMaker.
<end anecdote>

--Ananda
anandas@mediaone.net