Re: Frame won't install

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea why this would happen. FrameMaker
Tech Support should be called on this, though. They may have a direct
solution or insight into the problem and if they don't, you should
report it to them.

If in fact just changing the default printer to another printer
"solves" the problem and if both the EFI Fiery printer and the other
printer are using the exact same driver (let's say AdobePS 4.2.4, for
example), then the only possibility that I could think of is what is
known as an OEM driver plug-in. EFI (as well as a few other Adobe
OEMs, such as HP before they started using clones for some of their
LaserJets) provides various plug-ins modules to the printer
drivers that are called at various times at which the driver is
called for a particular printer type. Conceivably there is some
problem that is occurrring when FrameMaker attempts to initialize
the driver and the driver calls such a plug-in.

(Note that the OEM plug-ins are named as follows: If the printer's
PPD file is named "xyzzy.ppd" then the printer plug-in file is named
"xyzzy.dll". Rename the "xyzzy.dll" file to "xyzzy.xdll" and the
plug-in file will cease to be called. You may get a diagnostic message
the first time after the rename, but all should be well after that.)

However, such a determination could only be made with a very-controlled
and monitored experiment.

In general, one must be very careful in installing drivers as supplied by
some of Adobe's OEMs. Why? Because (1) they are often older versions
than those you might currently have installed on your system and the OEM
installers might not properly check versions (i.e., they bunnystomp over
all your current drivers and settings) and (2) Adobe does not and cannot
provide any support for these plug-ins which may be highly printer driver
version dependent -- once you update the driver, the plug-in either
ceases to work or interferes with proper installation and operation of
the driver. The only really safe method of using the AdobePS drivers
is to use the generic driver from Adobe with the PPD file as provided by
our OEM.

	- Dov