Re: Create EPS with Preview? (Make from PS->PDF->EPS)

Marna,

I am not sure that I get it?!?  Why not use a screen capture program if that
is what you are trying to do?  More to the point, why use WORD at all?

However, here are some thoughts for you...

1) In order to create previews your have to use an eps-creation program that
supports this.  Not knowing more about what you have on hand, I am not sure
the best to recommend.

2) One option is to ...

2a) Make sure that you have Acrobat Exchange installed (it is on your FM 556
cd).

2b) Make sure that you have the Distiller print driver installed (usually
installs with Exchange as I recall).

2c) Go to the Adobe Downloads site and grab the EXPORT TO PS plug in.  Install
it; you have to read their directions carefully (including in the file you
download).

Main Download Page (this plugin is under Exchange)
http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/custsupport/download.html

     The ABOVE is a REALLY GOOD PLACE TO FIND GOODIES.

Specific Download Page for this PlugIn
http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/custsupport/LIBRARY/4f26.htm

2d) Print (using the Distiller driver) to a PS file.

2e) Then Distill to PDF.  Just double click the PS file in Explorer.  Or if
you want to or need to fiddle with the settings for compression, etc. (your
images might not come out right using their standard settings.  Start up
Distiller (file is acrodist.exe in the directory where Distiller is installed)
and go to Distiller, Job Options to change the settings.

2f) Save a copy of your PDF file.

2g) Open the PDF in Acrobat Exchange.  Go to the page you want to export to
EPS.  On the menu, go to Document, Crop and use their really neat crop dialog
to crop to the area you want for your EPS image.

2h) In Exchange then go to File, Export PostScript or EPS...  Select EPS,
select the other items.  My suggestion is to always embed fonts.  However,
regarding the PS level 1 or 2 and regarding binary or ascii, you need to
experiment to see what works for you.  There are four possible combinations --
I have had varying experience as to what works on different platforms; some
you can see but not print, some you can see and print, some you can't do
either.  In any case, document your procedure and the results.

Note that you also have an option for previews.  However, if you use 8-bit
instead of 1-bit, your EPS file will be larger.  If your purpose is to see
on-screen enough to know it is there, then 1-bit will save you space/time.

This is a real round-about way to accomplish the result, but it does work.  We
use it extensively for cross-platform EPS creation, especially for advertising
layouts that we can then email to an advertising sales person in Lower
Slobovia and we don't have to worry about them a) messing up the ad contents
or b) [as long as we get the right combination of items in #2h] having them
worry about the technology of it -- they can just plop it into their magazine
layout.

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: jay@jaysmith.com

The Press for History(tm), The Press for Education(tm),
The Press for [Your Industry](tm), The Press for....(tm)
  On-demand printing and binding of hardbound books.
  Minimum run one copy.

P.O. Box 650
Snow Camp, NC  27349  USA

Phone: Int+US+336-376-9991