Re: Database Publishing Suggestions

Dan, Dan, Dan,

You are not a priority. In the past 5 days I have been in Denver, Santa
Clara, San Jose, Chicago -- closing large business opportunities -- clients
that have real database publishing needs. And all the while, FML phones
continue to ring for want of our abilities.

I did notice the absence of any reference to our dynamic capabilities,
graphic resizing etc., etc. You only respond to certain facts that maybe
might cloud the issue.  You have already shown your colors -- you don't
need to explore new technology -- you know it all. How can anybody
demonstrate anything new to you?

But quickly let me ask you:

What is MIF, if not a tagged file format.  Your PDF document "Database
Publishing with FrameMaker & Unimerge" suggest MIF.  In your terms what is
MIF, the inquirer really wants to know?

Is that sample which you shared (99% published mostly using "background
information") what you call high-end?  I felt that you would offer some
market experience, real projects that you have completed.  Again, I ask
you, "where do you want to go today?"  In a recent post you talk of
Luckman, from scratch to finish how long to implement?  How fast to run
those pages? I find it humorous that you have to go back each year to
re-publish it for them.  With PatternStream, once implemented, they merely
hit the button anytime they want to republish it -- they don't need Danny
boy -- pretty scary, huh!

Holding out the speed argument -- did you include the whole picture --
implementing the queries, the data extract, the cumbersome file management
stuff, through to MIF and then final file import?  Your story is partial,
you didn't included what MIS must do for you -- you must go back and forth
with MIS, others do the work for you, no wonder you think it is so fast --
see they don't need to do that with PatternStream.  So please, tell the a
whole story -- you continue to leave out parts.  Importing ASCII text is
only a partial story -- pretty impressive speeds for ASCII import, I'm
impressed!

Please show me a high-end application, something like a catalog with
colorful pictures.  I offer to you my examples (and any one else
interested).  Tell the group how you would implement the same and how long
it would take.  Can you share any books, catalogs, or major
implementations, something with complexity, 100% variable?

In reference to your "UNDISPUTED CONCLUSION", the only thing that I can
conclude is that you haven't yet demonstrated a "real" application nor
implementation.  Please review the books and catalogs in our examples.
Also note the table straddles, the complex header formats, all 100%
variable if need be.  Also, placement of graphics -- many resized
on-the-fly?  Got anything interesting to share?

As stated in my last email -- I won't play your game!  You don't include
the facts and you give partial stories.
One minute it isn't tagged data the next minute I read it uses MIF, common
'fes-up, tell us the whole story.

How long to implement the Columbia Books CPA example?  And how about the
Motor example, you know the one with the varying straddles that are shaded
differently too.  And most importantly, can you even do these?   These are
the types of projects that require PatternStream and why we are called in
to share our technology.

"publish in minutes...Not days."

Finite Matters Ltd.
David V. Evans