RE: column flows around graphics

Jay,

The two-column flow problem that you describe is one of many reasons why I
almost preferred Frame's older method of handling columns: one frame to a
column. My hold-over method might be useful now or sometime in future, or to
other Framers, so here goes:

Here's how I forced Frame to flow the columns correctly in a mag I used to
publish:
1. Create document format with separate, linked text frames in the
appropriate flow on master page or pages. (I used to use three columns on
8.5 x 11" pages.)
2. Get all your content as final as possible.
3. Use anchored frames wherever possible or suitable to link graphics tied
to text. Do ALL your spelling checks, kerning, ligatures, etc, before next
step.
4. Insert unanchored graphics for any multi-column figures, with runaround
properties set as desired (bounding box or contour and points distant).
Tweak as needed for copy-fitting.

This solution stinks, but it works. The biggest problem in EITHER case is
Frame's inability to set runaround properties for anchored frames. Conrad
Taylor and Hedley Finger have both pleaded in the dim-and-misty past of
1997-98 for consistent and comprehensive layout options that are the SAME
for anchored frames, tables, and unanchored graphics (top or bottom of
column, left or right of column inside text frame or outside, at insertion
point, shrink-wrapped, runaround or not and how...), not to mention
intelligent two-page spread-layout options.

Deborah Snavely
Senior Technical Writer
seeking Silicon Valley, CA position