Search index not available on Solaris

We made a few experiments the other day re. Acrobat Reader's search
plugin and the case of search index file names on Solaris 2.5.

The PDF documents and the search index catalog was created on
Windows NT. The PDF documents have names such as '09006200.pdf'.
All search index directories and files have uc names. The PDF
documents was transferred to a ISO 9660 format cd-rom, which allows
only uc A-Z, 0-9 and _ in 8.3 format in file names. That is, you
cannot distinguish between uc and lc in file names on an ISO 9660
format cd-rom; unix'es often presents the file names in lc, but
should find and and open a file whether you specify the name in
uc or lc.

What I found out was this:

I can open the PDF documents and the attached search index directly
from the cd-rom, which is mounted as a 'hsfs' file system. I suppose
'hsfs' reads High Sierra, which is another (older) name for the ISO
9660 standard. All file and directory names appear in _lc_ when I do
a 'ls', but if I do 'ls /pathtocdrom/INDEX', the search index
directory INDEX is listed. That is, the hsfs file system is not case
sensitive.

If I copy the PDF documents and the search index directory to a local
directory, all files and directories are copied with lc names. And
now the file system _do_ distinguish between uc and lc in file names.
If an application, the Acrobat Reader search plugin in this case, is
looking for the file INDEX.PDX or the directory INDEX, it won't find
it. And Acrobat Reader cannot attach the search index.

Now, if I rename the search index PDX file and the search index
directory to uc, Acrobat Reader can attach the search index. Only
those two was renamed, all PDF document file names and all the
direcories and files below the search index directory remained in lc.

What gives?

Kind regards
Peter Ring