Re: Search index not available on Solaris

Peter Ring wrote:

> We made a few experiments the other day re. Acrobat Reader's search
> plugin and the case of search index file names on Solaris 2.5.

<snip>

> What I found out was this:
>
> I can open the PDF documents and the attached search index directly
> from the cd-rom, which is mounted as a 'hsfs' file system. I suppose
> 'hsfs' reads High Sierra, which is another (older) name for the ISO
> 9660 standard.

hsfs is _NOT_ ISO 9660. It is a Mac only standard (but one mountable by
Solaris). I do not wish to go into further detail except to say that it
allows all of the Mac folder properties to come accross onto the CD. ISO
9660 (with MAC extensions) does not; in fact 9660 is quite limited in
comparison. Blame Microsoft for not adopting High Sierra and making all of
us x-platform Cd-ROm burners heartburn!!!!

> All file and directory names appear in _lc_ when I do
> a 'ls', but if I do 'ls /pathtocdrom/INDEX', the search index
> directory INDEX is listed. That is, the hsfs file system is not case
> sensitive.

Not so. Must be the Solaris implementation/translation.

> If I copy the PDF documents and the search index directory to a local
> directory, all files and directories are copied with lc names. And
> now the file system _do_ distinguish between uc and lc in file names.
> If an application, the Acrobat Reader search plugin in this case, is
> looking for the file INDEX.PDX or the directory INDEX, it won't find
> it. And Acrobat Reader cannot attach the search index.

I can confirm the lower case bug mentioned in the quote below from bitter
experience:

The file and directory names have to be lowercase only for the Solaris arco
search plug in to work. This is in direct contrevention of (unextended) ISO
9660. THIS IS A BUG!!!!! It is most unlikely ever to be fixed unless Adobe
and Verity (developers of the Catelogue program) ever heal the breach which
happened 12 - 18 months ago. (Dov: why did this happen????)

> Now, if I rename the search index PDX file and the search index
> directory to uc, Acrobat Reader can attach the search index. Only
> those two was renamed, all PDF document file names and all the
> direcories and files below the search index directory remained in lc.
>

> What gives?

Apparently the HSFS impletation of Solaris and the lower case bug of
acrosearch for Solaris. YUCK!!!!!!!!!

> Kind regards
> Peter Ring

             _   _        Michael Richards
            ( \ / )       Email:  michaelr@ind.tansu.com.au
           __\ Y /,-')    Tel: +61 2 9206 3524
          (__     .-'     Locked Bag 6581 Sydney 1100
             |   (        Fax: +61 2 9281 1301
             [___]        Intelligent Network Platforms,
             |oo |        Telstra Corporation, Australia
           ,' \  |
          <___/  |
             |   |
             |   |     HAVE YOU SEEN THIS CHICKEN???