Re: Chapter Numbering question

At 03:35 PM 2/2/99 -0500, Suzette Seveny wrote:
>I have set up my manuals to have automatic chapter numbering, like so:
>
>Chapter 1   <--- This paragraph style is called ChapNum & numbers
>......Overview   <---- This paragraph style is called ChapName
>
>When I assemble the TOC, I would like it to pick up both, and put ChapNum in a
>sidehead, like so:
>
>Chapter 1     Overview
>                   abc
>                   def
>                   ghi
>
>Chapter 2     Something else
>
>How do I accomplish this?  I can't get the TOC to pick up ChapNum, so I keep
>typing in the chapter numbers manually.  I tried looking at some samples,
but I
>can't figure them out.
Here's how to accomplish what you want:
NOTE: Steps 1 thru 11 and steps 18 thru 21 are to be performed in a source
document(i.e., one of the chapters in your book). Steps 12 thru 17 are to be
performed in the generated TOC produced in step 11.

1. In your source document, set up the autonumbering format for the ChapNum
paragraph as:
                             H:Chapter <n+>
2. Choose View > Reference Pages, and create a new reference page named TOC.
3. Use the drawing tool to create a text frame on the TOC reference page.
Then, choose Format > Customize Layout > Customize Text Frame to open the
Customize Text Frame dialog box. Enter TOC in the Flow Tag slot, and click
the SET button.
4. Put the cursor in the Body paragraph in the text frame created in step 3,
and hit ENTER to create a second Body paragraph.
5. Open the Paragraph Designer.
6. Put the cursor in the first Body paragraph. In the Paragraph Designer,
replace the name Body in the Paragraph Tag slot with the name ChapNumTOC,
and create a new format with this name. In the Pagination Panel, set the
format to Side Head Alignment.
7. Move the cursor to the second Body paragraph. In the Paragraph Designer,
replace the name Body in the Paragraph Tag slot with the name ChapNameTOC,
and create a new format with this name.
8. Put the cursor in the ChapNumTOC paragraph created in step 6, and type:
              <$paranum> <$nopage>
9. Put the cursor in the ChapNameTOC paragraph created in step 7 and type:
              <$paratext>TAB<$pagenum>
        where TAB should be replaced by a tab stop.
10. Choose View > Body Pages to return to the document text.
11. Generate the TOC, including the ChapNum and ChapName paragraphs.
12. Open the resulting TOC file produced in step 11.
13. Choose Format > Customize Layout > Customize Text Frame to open the
Customize Text Frame dialog box. Turn on Room For Side Heads, set the Side
Head Width and Gap to the desired values for the side head column, and click
the SET button. Observe that the ChapNum paragraph appears in the side head,
and all other TOC listings appear in the normal text column.
14. In the TOC, choose View > Reference Pages, and go to the reference page
named TOC. Observe that the ChapNumTOC and ChapNameTOC paragraphs created in
the source document in steps 6 and 7 appear, as well as paragraphs for each
of the other paragraphs you included when you generated the TOC in step 11.
Use the Paragraph Designer to customize the styles of these paragraphs as
required. Also, modify, as needed, the TOC specifications for each xxxxTOC
paragraph to meet your requirements.
15. Choose View > Body Pages to again view the Table of Contents. Use the
Paragraph Designer to make any additional changes to the formats of the
various xxxxTOC paragraphs, clicking the Update All button after making each
change to the xxxxxTOC paragraphs, so as to be sure that these changes are
reflected in the corresponding paragraphs on the TOC reference page.
16. Again choose View > Reference Pages, and go back to the TOC reference
page. Select all of the text on this reference page, and copy the selected
text to the clipboard.
17. Save the TOC file under the name you want to use for it in your book
file, and then close it.
18. In your source document, choose View > Reference Pages, and go back to
the TOC reference page created in steps 1 thru 10. Select all of the text in
the text frame on that reference page, and replace it with the text that was
copied to the clipboard in step 16.
19. Your source document is now set up to generate a properly formatted TOC.
Save it but do not close it.
20. Repeat step 11 in your source document to verify that the resulting TOC
is properly formatted (you'll have to repeat step 13 to restore the side head).
21. After you've got everything the way you want it, you should consider
importing the reference pages (in particular, the TOC reference page) from
your source document into the template you use for creating your documents.
Also, import those same reference pages into all of your existing document
files. That way, any of your source documents can properly generate a TOC.
Also, be sure the ChapNum paragraph in your template, and all of your
existing document files, has the autonumbering format specified in step 1 above.
     | Nullius in Verba |