RE: A Job for Conditional Text?

Joyce -

A little story about FM's conditional text feature:

Two weeks ago I was told that the production schedule for our 2nd
product line was being moved up by several months and that I needed to
have the user docs at our manufacturer's facility in another state by
Feb. 1. After I picked myself up off the floor, I realized that the docs
for our two product lines would be about 90% the same. I've used FM for
most of the last 5 years, but had never used the conditional text
feature. Since the docs for our first product line were in final
developmental stages, I knew it would be a nightmare trying to get two
sets of docs finalized in time to meet our production schedule
(especially since I'm a lone writer).

This seemed like a good opportunity to give conditional text a shot, so
I sat down and learned real fast how to use it. To my great relief, it
worked quite well. I was able to set illustrations, tables, text, etc.
as needed for each product line and managed to turn out custom docs for
the 2nd product line in 3-1/2 days. It's somewhat tedious to work with,
and you have to play around with it some, but it does work. Just be sure
to proof the docs really closely to ensure that each contains the
correct elements.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Welch-Hutchings