Re: Reset page numbering in middle of file

Fred Ma wrote to comp.text.frame, framers@xxxxxxxxx, adobe.framemaker:

> Is there a way to reset the page number in the middle of the
> file?  I have some "front-matter" pages and I often think it
> excessively cumbersome to break them out into separate files.
> I included them in the same files as the main document, but
> I haven't figured out a way to make the page numbering start
> at 1 after the front-matter pages.  The front matter pages
> do not use any master pages.  Thanks.

Thanks to all who followed up, even those who thought (like me)
that this was not possible, but especially for the sneaky ones
who revealed the hack to make it possible.  For the sake of the
cross-posted forums, the hack is to start the first page (which
is the first front-matter page) as a negative number.

Fred

P.S.  Regarding one of the responses, I prefer to have everything
in one file for small documents.  It's simpler to manage my files
(only 2 files, the document itself, and the backup version).  If
I have a separate front-matter file, I also need a book file and
the main document, which is 6 files including backup.  There are
also situations in which I funny page numbering only for a single
draft (to help with the revising), so I don't want to want to save
this version.  In that case, I sure don't want to create a plethora
of new files.

Regarding the use of "None" for master page, I did that only in my
experimentation to find a way to reset page numbering mid-file.  It
involved no extra customization of text frames since the content
was already on the page.
--
Fred Ma
Dept. of Electronics, Carleton University