Re: Distiller 6.0 with FM 7.1

At 4/8/2004 07:13 AM, Steve Rickaby wrote:
>At 7:04 am -0700 8/4/04, Dov Isaacs wrote:
>
>>You really don't want "parallel" installation of Distiller 6
>>(from FrameMaker 7.1) with full Acrobat 5.0.5. You will not
>>have a stable system!
>
>This may be true on Windows, for all I know. On Mac I have parallel installations of Acrobat 5 and 6 running without any problems that I've noticed. I always save to PostScript and then drop on Distiller 6. I never use Frame's 'Save as PDF' feature.
>
>It's useful to have Acrobat 5 around because it has a load of scripts I've not yet ported to Acrobat 6. It's useful to have Distiller 5 around for cross-checking any 'issues' with Distiller 6.
>
>Maybe Dov could clarify what he means by [not] 'stable' here?
>--
>Steve

It turns out that the only exception to the "you can't / shouldn't have
two parallel versions of Acrobat installed on a system" relates to
Acrobat 5.0.5 and Acrobat 6 under MacOS X. The reason is that Distiller 5 and
all its plumbing for was really only for Classic Mode and Distiller 6 and all
its plumbing is for Native Mode. Thus, they can co-exist without significant
problems. This will NOT be true for Acrobat 6 and the next version of Acrobat
under MacOS X. The driver / Distiller setup must be one or the other.

        - Dov