Re: Distiller 6.0 with FM 7.1

> You really don't want "parallel" installation of Distiller 6
> (from FrameMaker 7.1) with full Acrobat 5.0.5. You will not
> have a stable system!

Thanks Dov, for confirming my initial suspicion, and
for bringing the facts to the framers community.

What I still cannot figure out is why on earth it seems
impossible for the Adobe folks making the installers to
get these things right? Don't they listen to you, their
presumed primary expert on Acrobat/PDF integration?

The dialog at the end of the FM 7.1 install says:

"Would you like to install Adobe Acrobat Distiller?
Note: If you choose to install Distiller and it detects a
previous version of Adobe Acrobat, you will receive a
dialog box asking, "Do you wish to remove the older version?"
If you choose Yes, Adobe Acrobat will be completely removed
from your system. Choosing No will install only Acrobat
Distiller 6.0 and leave other Acrobat programs intact.
See the ReadMeFirst.html file for more information."

I couldn't find a ReadMeFirst file anywhere, and when I
tried to install Acrobat Distiller 6.0, I received no
dialog asking me to remove the older version.
Therefore, I cancelled the Distiller installation just
before the file copying step.

Is it any wonder people get non-working Acrobat installations?

Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
Technical Communicator, Uppsala, Sweden
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@xxxxxxxxx
http://go.to/framers/    (updated on April 7)