Update on performance of FrameMaker 7.x on Macintosh OS X withVirtual PC

I've recently upgraded my Macintosh Titanium PowerBook to OS X 10.3,
"Panther," and am running FrameMaker 7.1 on it, with Virtual PC 6.1. Panther
overall is noticeably faster than OS X 10.2.8, "Jaguar," and this speed
increase appears in the operation of FrameMaker under Virtual PC, as well as
native OS X programs.

My TiBook has a 667mHz G4 processor, with its maximum of 1GB of RAM. I've
given the maximum possible RAM to Virtual PC, which is 512MB. The PowerBook
processors are a little slower than counterpart processors in desktop
machines, to keep the heat to a manageable level.

Newer and faster Macintosh processors and models that can use more than 1GB
of RAM may provide even higher performance.

In previous discussions on the discontinuation of FM for Macintosh, I
reported that VPC didn't seem a good alternative, because it was too
sluggish for moderate sized files that included graphics. While FM is still
noticeably slower on VPC than on a "real PC," the speed increase may make it
suitable for many users.

 I haven't upgraded VPC to the newest release, 7.x, so I can't testify to
any possible speed increases. VPC 6 and earlier emulate a Pentium II.
Perhaps someone with VPC 7.x can provide more information about its speed.

YMMV

Peter Gold
 KnowHow ProServices