Re: FrameMaker's handling of imported graphics files

[ The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
  This reply is sent only to the "Free Framers" mailing list.
  If this reply is useful, consider copying it to FrameUsers. ]

From: "Steve Rickaby" <srickaby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Clearly FrameMaker checks for the existence of imported files when a
> document is opened. My question is, for files imported by reference,
> whether the files are actually opened and their contents rendered:
>
> . When the containing document is first opened
> . When the page containing the graphic is displayed
> . At some other time

When the document is first opened, FM only checks for the existence
of the referenced graphic files. They are not opened in any way.

A referenced graphic file is not opened and read until you display
the page it's on for the first time. It's then rendered on the
screen, and the rendered image is stored in temporary storage.
When you display a page (graphic) you've already displayed before,
FM checks for the presence of the referenced file and if it's
been updated since last. If the file is there and hasn't been
updated, the temporary image is used (the file is not read again).
If the file is there and has been updated, the file is read and
rendered again. If the file is not there, you get a message about
missing graphics and gray boxes.

This is based on my experience, in particular with EPS images
over the network, where you can clearly see how things work
since it takes a long time to read and render the preview image.
It could possibly be different for bitmap formats like GIF, JPG
and TIFF, but I doubt it.