Track Changes--Solved, Revisited; Translation Management Solution

[note: Posted on behalf of Robert Stoker; please reply to him on list or
directly]

Sheila, can you please post this to the Framers mailing list for me. I have
not been able to join the list so that I can post it.

=================

I wanted to reply to Lucie Haskins' question about tracking changes in a
FrameMaker document in order to streamline the translation process. We have
run into a similar request from two of our multi-national clients.

The input Lucie has been given, using Compare Documents, certainly will
work. However, this still requires a great deal of hand work and tight
document control. Other options include the use of a translation database
program or the consistent use of a translation house which uses such a
program. Again, these are not ideal solutions, especially for the content
owner. Translation database programs are difficult (impossible) for
non-translators to use, and the translation houses usually charge a
percentage for words and phrases that are already in the database.

So to solve our clients' problem, we are developing the Translated
Documents Manager (TDM) plug-in to help them manage localized versions of
documents from a single base-language document. Our plug-in allows the
author to choose a base language and multiple optional languages. When the
document is ready for translation, TDM exports the untranslated text so it
can be sent to a translation house. The translators send back the
translated text, and TDM builds translated documents, ready for final check
and output.

TDM also tracks changes in the original base-language document. Before a
translated document can be printed, exported, or saved, TDM compares the
translated document to the base-language document, informs the author if
the translated document is out-of-date, and identifies the out-of-date
sections.

If a change has been made to the base language document, TDM can be used to
export a delta file for translation. The delta file only contains the
untranslated information. After the text in the delta file has been
translated, TDM replaces the out-of-date sections in the translated
document with the newly translated material.

If a section of previously translated material is copied from the
base-language document into a new document, TDM takes the translation with
the copied base-language section.

This plug-in is in the testing phase. TDM can be used on structured and
non-structured FrameMaker documents. Windows and Macintosh versions will be
available.

I would be interested to find out if this plug-in would solve Lucie's and
other Frame users' problems. I welcome off-list comments.

Regards,
Robert Stoker
Seatech Publications, Inc.
info@seatechpubs.com
www.seatechpubs.com

Sheila Carlisle         NEW --->  V: 425/ 486-2988   F: 425/ 483-3836
Axial InfoSolutions Inc.               (Bothell, Washington)
Automated Publishing Solutions  /  XML Publishing Solutions
http://www.axialinfo.com  http://www.miramo.com