Re: Frame 6.0 on XP--does not work for me!!!

Gerald,

You are absolutely correct that you must have the TrueType Symbol
font installed on your system. For better or for worse, it is part
of the “magic sauce” of Windows 2000 and Windows XP and you just
cannot get around it in any way with applications that rely on the
operating system for font services and PostScript generation. (Note
that applications that provide their own font services such as Acrobat,
Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. do not have this limitation.) To make
matters even more "interesting," Distiller actually embeds a double-byte
encoded version of the font, making it impossible to do substitutions
within Acrobat with the text touch-up tool or with third party
plug-ins such as Enfocus Pitstop. It is also true that this particular
limitation does not exist on the Macintosh, although there are other
in that environment.

In terms of printers or even GATF gurus who profess that TrueType fonts
or that a mixture of Type 1 and TrueType fonts (different names, of course)
in the same document are a “no-no,” don't get me started! The FACT is that
Adobe PDF, Adobe PostScript, and Adobe applications fully support TrueType
fonts. The so-called "mavens" who give advice against use of TrueType fonts
are NOT, repeat NOT giving you technically sound or accurate information.
It reflects a bias stemming from the late 1980s and early 1990s at which
time Microsoft AND Apple introduced TrueType as an alternative to the
Type 1 font technology in Adobe PostScript. Folks, the “font wars” of
that time have long been over! Fonts procured from major font foundries
in TrueType format will render ever bit as well as the equivalent face in
Type 1 format. Any “printer” or “prepress service provider” that refuses
content with TrueType fonts either (1) has ancient, obsolete versions of
various prepress PostScript preprocessing software packages and/or
mismanaged or misconfigured software, RIPs, workflows, etc. or (2) is
exhibiting extreme technical ignorance, snobbery, or both. By the way,
the “TrueType is a ‘no-no’” cheering squad most often coincides with the
highly bigoted “we only work with content produced on a Mac” crowd.
In other words, you are dealing with vendors with either obsolete
hardware, obsolete software, obsolete training, or obsolete technical
political correctness.

Good night!

        - Dov