False Alarm! (Was: Sircam Virus on Adobe Type Manager Lite)

I am very sorry to hear of your colleague's problem with her system.
Upon receipt of your posting, I initiated a check by our web team of
our download servers as well as checking for any incidents of problems
logged to check the veracity of the conclusions drawn in your posting.

Absolutely none of our downloadable files are infected with any viruses
nor were they so-infected during the Thanksgiving weekend or any other
time!

Our hypothesis, based upon similar reports and follow-ups in the past,
is that your colleague's system was already infected with the virus and
that ATM Lite installer immediately became infected with the virus upon
completion of the download by that already-established virus. Subsequently
running the ATM installer (possibly followed by a reboot if Windows'9x/Me)
and then ATM itself simply served as a vector to further spread that virus
on the system. Alas, this type (bad pun intended) of scenario is unfortunately
quite common.

I would be interested in knowing exactly which toll-free number was called.
She should not have been shuffled off to “tech support” which obviously has
no connection whatsoever with management of our web site. I will follow-up
on this if you can get me some very specific information as to that call.

        - Dov