Unix Distiller error?

Hi! I've recently run into an odd error while
distilling a particular book of mine on Solaris,
and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions
on how to fix it:

-----
%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: C ]%%
Stack:
792
234.26
563.29
0
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
-----

This is on an eleven chapter book, less than 20 pages per
chapter, and a few dozen GIF images (referenced) in total.
Each chapter, individually, distills without error. Last week
I distilled the entire book without error, and the only changes
in the book since then was the addition of a few paragraphs in
Ch.9. That chapter still distills, by itself, without error.
Other books distill without error.

I am distilling by printing to a single .ps file, and then
doing a command-line distill, with ALL of the "downsample"
options turned off. I am also downloading all fonts.

This is FM5.5.6, Solaris 2.5.1, 256Mb RAM. The FM files are
stored remotely in a ClearCase repository; all files have
been checked out (to me) prior to printing to .ps

I've searched the various archives & Adobe, but I can't
seem to find anything that directly addresses this particular
error -- it's mostly fmPA stuff, which is not useful.

Any suggestions would be appreciated; I'm not a huge Solaris pro.
My current workaround plan is to distill each chapter
individually and ship eleven PDFs to the customer.
Naturally, I'm not enthused about that.

Martin Anderson
Avant! Beaverton