re: Unix Distiller error?

Martin  asked:
(much snipped)
>Last week
>I distilled the entire book without error, and the only changes
>in the book since then was the addition of a few paragraphs in
>Ch.9. That chapter still distills, by itself, without error.
>Other books distill without error.
>
>My current workaround plan is to distill each chapter
>individually and ship eleven PDFs to the customer.

Martin, I've *never* worked on UNIX, so my opinion's just a guess. But
I've seen this behavior before on both Mac and Windows and it resolved
by saving the book file to MIF and then opening the MIF and saving it
back to Frame. And then regenerating and re-distilling. That was
pre-Frame 6, so it's just a wild guess.

As for your workaround, you can at least do better by a customer; if
driven to separate distillation, you can open the PDFs in Acrobat and
assemble them quickly into one file.
1. Open first file
2. Select command Document | Insert Pages
3. Specify After Last Page
4. Repeat for each file of book
5. Save whole-book PDF

It won't get you bookmarks or link x-refs/TOC links across what were
individual files, but it's a lot better than 11 individual files.

Deborah Snavely
Document Architect, QA & Docs,
Aurigin Systems, Inc. dsnavely@aurigin.com
voicemail 408-517-7414