RE: Printing with embedded CMKY images

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.

From: Dov Isaacs
> At 3/21/2001 02:10 PM, Dave Pancoast wrote:
> > So how do I get FrameMaker to globally substitute
> > filename.tif with filename.eps?
>
> Suppose that your file is "FUBAR.fm" and an imported by reference
> image is "Sample.TIF". Follow the following procedure:
> (1) Save "FUBAR.fm" as a MIF file "FUBAR.mif".
> (2) Invoke an ASCII text editor on "FUBAR.mif".
> (3) Search for ".TIF". You will find something like:
>   <ImportObFileDI `<c\>Sample.tif'>
>   <ImportObFile `Sample.tif'>
>   <ImportHint `0001FRAMTIFFWIN3    '>
>   <ImportObUpdater `TIFF'>
>
> (4) Change these lines as follows:
>   <ImportObFileDI `<c\>Sample.eps'>
>   <ImportObFile `Sample.eps'>
>   <ImportHint `0001FRAMEPSFWIN3    '>
>   <ImportObUpdater `EPSI'>

A few comments to this otherwise excellent procedure:
The <ImportObFile> statement is obsolete, not used and should be
possible to ignore (one less thing to edit).
According to the MIF manual, the <ImportObUpdater> statement is
only used for embedded OLE objects (Windows) or graphics subscribers
(Mac), and should also be possible to ignore (but not tested by me!).

The REALLY important thing here is the <ImportHint> statement.
It defines the graphics filter to use when importing and displaying
the graphic. This MUST be changed correctly, the file extension is
completely irrelevant. See the MIF manual (page 61 in the 5.5 version)
for the allowed values.

The code "0001FRAMTIFFWIN3" (in this example) consists of:
* a version number (0001): in general, don't change this.
* the filter vendor (FRAM): this may need to be changed,
  depending on what graphics format you're changing into.
* the graphics format (TIFF): change this according to MIF manual.
* the platform on which the filter was run (WIN3): don't change this.
The rest of the code (blanks or a comment) may have to be changed,
or it's ignored, I'm not sure.