Re: Chapter TOC plug-in?

At 10:46 AM 3/21/01 -0800, Russ Wyllie wrote:
>Is there a commercially-available FrameMaker plug-in that helps with the
>creation of chapter tables of contents? A company I used to work for had
>such a plug-in, but the start-up I'm at now doesn't have the resources
>in-house to write one.
>
>The "by hand" process of creating chapter TOCs involves:
>
>* Creating individual book files that generate the chapter TOCs for each
>chapter.
>
>* Creating one big book file that contains all the chapters and generated
>TOCs for generating the book TOC and printing the entire book.
>
>The "by hand" method is a major pain for books with lots of chapters. I
>don't mind the one-time setup of all the book files, but re-generating all
>those chapter TOCs every time the book changes is pretty mind numbing.
>
>It sure would be nice to feed a list of chapter book files along with the
>big book file name to a plug-in, and have it do all the TOC generations and
>book updating. Does this plug-in exist somewhere?

The easiest way to do this is to import the Chapter TOCs as text insets.
Proceed as follows:

1. Open any chapter file in the book, and generate a TOC for that chapter.
In Frame V 5.5.6 or earlier, this is done by choosing Frame > Generate
Book, and
setting up for the generation of a TOC, in which you specify which
paragraph tags you want to include in the chapter TOC. This will create a
new generated file named chapname.TOC, where chapname is the stemname of
the chapter file from which the generated TOC was produced. Note that the
chapter file you choose for this purpose should have instances of all the
paragraph tags you want to include in the chapter TOCs. DO NOT save this
file under the name chapname.TOC. Keep it open, and proceed to step 2.

2. Save (but do not close) the newly generated file under the name
ChapTOCTemplate.. Choose View > Reference Pages, and go to the Reference
page named TOC. This reference page contains the default specifications for
generating the TOC. Make any required modifications to these default
specifications. There will be a separate paragraph tag produced for each
tag you included in the generated TOC, having the tagname paratagnameTOC,
where paratagname is the name of the paragraph tag you selected for
inclusion when you generated the TOC. Make any required modifications to
these paragraph formats. DO NOT add the paratagnameTOC paragraphs in
reference page TOC to the paragraph catalog of the ChapTOCTemplate file. Do
not close the file. Instead, proceed to step 3

3. In the new file, ChapTOCTemplate, created in step 2, delete all
reference pages except the reference page named TOC, and save (but do not
close) the file.

4. With the book file open, choose File > Import > Formats. In the Import
Formats dialog:
         a. Choose ChapterTOCTemplate from the Import From document menu.
         b. In the Import and Update section, turn off everything except
Reference Pages.
         c. Move all of the Chapter files into the Update list.
         d. Click the Import button. This will add the TOC reference page
to the reference page set in all of your chapter files.
DO NOT add the paratagnameTOC paragraphs in reference page TOC to the
paragraph catalogs of the chapter files

5. If there are existing copies of the chapname.TOC files, delete all of
them. Then, open each chapter file, and generate a new chapter TOC,
specifying the same paragraph tags for inclusion in the TOC that you
specified in Step 1. Each generated file will have the name chapname.TOC.

6. In each Chapter file, put the text cursor at the location (usually an
empty paragraph) where you want to insert the chapter TOC. Then, choose
File > Import  > File. In the Import dialog, put the name of the
corresponding chapname.TOC file in the File Name slot, turn on Import by
Reference, and click the Import button. The Import Text Flow By Reference
dialog appears. In that dialog, turn on Body Page Flow, Retain Source's
Formatting, and Automatic, then click the Import button. The
imported-by-reference chapname.TOC file now appears as a text inset at the
insertion point. DO NOT delete the chapname.TOC files, otherwise the source
of the text insets will be lost.

7. Once you have completed steps 1 thru 6, all you have to do to update the
TOC in each chapter file is open each chapter file, regenerate the chapter
TOC, and double-click on the text inset to open the Text Inset Properties
dialog. Then, simply click the Update Now button. The text inset will now
reflect the latest version of chapname.TOC.

8. If you later decide to modify the formatting of the chapter TOCs,
proceed as follows:
         a. Open file ChapTOCTemplate, make the required modifications to
the formatting, and save (but do not close) the file:
         b. Import only the reference page from ChapTOCTemplate into each
of the chapname.TOC files so as to update their TOC reference pages
         c. Perform step 4 so as to update the TOC reference pages in each
of the chapter files.
         d. Perform step 7 to update the TOC text inset in each chapter file.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
177 Riverside Ave., STE F, #1151, Newport Beach, CA 92663