Re: Acrobat 5

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 7:05 PM
Subject: RE: Acrobat 5

> Note the total lack of mention of support for **ANY** UNIX-based
> operating system!  This leaves users of the following OSes out
> in the cold:
> - Solaris
> - Linux (any flavor)
> - BSD (any flavor)
>
> Mac OS X ships in 12 days, and Adobe can't commit to it for *next
quarter*.
> Contrast this with a number of other graphics software companies, who are
> making beta versions of their software for OS X available already....
>
> If Adobe isn't careful, the Acrobat 5 upgrade is going to be about as
> popular
> as the WindMillEd upgrade.
>
> We've got the OS X public beta on one of the Macs at home, and *even in
its
> beta stage*, it's more stable than any version of Windows I've seen in the
> last eight years.
>
> Once OS X ships, I'm not buying ANY Mac software that won't run native
> under OS X.

Hi, Stevens.

I'm sorry for my reply, with what tool you'll do "dtp" and tech.writing on
MacOS X?
O.K. it is very nice, supposedly very stable, with "DisplayPDF", Unicode
aware, very young and very S. Jobs' OS...
As far as I have heart Framemaker, QuarkXPress, InDesign, MSOffice, FreeHand
were planned to port, but not even in beta now..
Corel Ventura isn't planned to port nor for Linux neither for MacOS X until.
Interleaf and Quicksilver are died.
Advent 3B2 v7 was not planned for MacOS X (for Linux/Solaris x86 may be).
PageMaker is died (very probably)

What next?

Did you want to do the books or manuals with MacOS X SimpleText?
I don't.

And we already know how very tight all these DTP applications talk with
PostScript driver, display driver and fonts. MacOS X has new "DisplayPDF"
engine, new level of new OpenType fonts support, new ATSUI and Unicode
support for language scripts.

I believe Adobe engineers still wait the MacOS X releases of main
DTP/Prepress/document management tools. Only after they can see how
third-party applications generate own Postscript, high-quality Acrobat for
MacOS X will be born.

Let's be patient. I hope we agree that we don't need Acrobat 4 with the new
name "Acrobat 5 for MacOS X"

Best wishes,

Dmitri

Dmitri Iounov