Re: Acrobat 5

And, as Mac OS X is also UNIX-based (BSD, in fact), what are Adobe
doing? Missing the boat, I would say. And, oh, what is the imaging model
of OS X? Yep, pdf!!! So they are changing the pdf standard just at the
very time when an operating system is supporting pdf as its native
imaging format!? And making the new format unavailable to this operating
system? Hello!!!!!!

And while the XML stuff is nice (need to know more to judge whether the
implementation is a winner or lame), a lot of the other "exciting"
features have been there for ages for those who use both Illustrator and
Photoshop such as extracting images and so forth. Again, good to see
this stuff out front at last instead of being available only to evil and
twisted people such as myself.

And guess which Adobe product not mentioned? And I don't mean GoLive :-)

"Stevens, Ananda" wrote:

> Note the total lack of mention of support for **ANY** UNIX-based
> operating system!  This leaves users of the following OSes out
> in the cold:
> - Solaris
> - Linux (any flavor)
> - BSD (any flavor)
>
> Mac OS X ships in 12 days, and Adobe can't commit to it for *next quarter*.
> Contrast this with a number of other graphics software companies, who are
> making beta versions of their software for OS X available already....
>
> If Adobe isn't careful, the Acrobat 5 upgrade is going to be about as
> popular
> as the WindMillEd upgrade.
>
> We've got the OS X public beta on one of the Macs at home, and *even in its
> beta stage*, it's more stable than any version of Windows I've seen in the
> last eight years.
>
> Once OS X ships, I'm not buying ANY Mac software that won't run native
> under OS X.
>

> --Ananda Stevens
> ananda@sdsi.com <mailto:ananda@sdsi.com>

        Michael Richards