RE: Frame to Quark

Barb --

Course of action:

1) Fight like hell. They don't need the text files. They can print from
PDF files just fine. (We had to do that with a local company...
initials C.D.)

2) Find another printer. There ARE Frame-savvy printers in the Bay area,
and I suspect the Bay area Framers on-list can point you in the right
direction.

Regarding the re-styling, you should be able to do that using Frame.
Been there, done that. I've never seen anything produced in Quark that
I couldn't do with Frame, and I've seen lots of stuff done in Quark that
SHOULD have been done in Frame. Quark is totally unsuited for anything
longer than a magazine.

Given my limited knowledge of Quark...
If they need to convert from Frame to Quark, here's what they may have
to do:
- export the Frame source to RTF
- import the RTF to Quark
- re-format much of the text, since Frame exports RTF badly
- manually rearrange text flows
- manually place each and every graphic
- manually re-create the TOC
- manually re-create the Index
- re-proof the entire thing at least twice
<Anyone who does know Quark, please chime in with corrections/additions/
etc.>

IF the customer absolutely insists on this:

1) You need to get them to agree that once you send the source files to
the print bureau, you have NO responsibility whatsoever for ANY errors
found afterwards!! (And get this in writing.)

2) Get your resume and portfolio ready....

--Ananda Stevens
ananda.stevens@windriver.com