Re: PDF File Size using FM6 and Acrobat 4.05

On Sun, 25 February 2001, Dan Emory wrote:

> 1. Saving to PDF out of FrameMaker is a mistake, as attested to by Dov Isaacs,
> the Adobe guru. Instead, use File > Print Setup to select Acrobat Distiller as
> the printer in the Print Setup dialog.

I was doing that - I would never, ever use Save as PDF - Honest :-)

> Also in the Print Dialog, click
> Properties,
> and set up the properties for producing the postscript for Distiller.
> When this is done, choose File > Print to open the Print dialog, turn on
> Print Only to File, and specify an appropriate postscript filename (with.ps
> extension).

I was doing this as well.
> If you don't need bookmarks, turn off Generate Acrobat Data (turning on
> Generate Acrobat Data is one of the main sources of file bloat).

Unfortunately, I need the bookmarks.

> 2. After printing to the postscript file, open Acrobat Distiller, and first
> chooose Settings > Job Options. In particular, look at the Compression
> settings, at least turning on compression of text and line art. If you can
> get away with compressing your graphics, definitely do so, since
> graphic compression will greatly reduce file size.

Aha!  I checked this - and found that no compression was set (except for monochrome bitmap images). So I turned on Compression on the other two as well.

> Also, under General
> in the Job Options dialog, turn on Optimize PDF.

That was done as well. I did notice though, that the Resolution was set to 1200 dpi.  My manuals are either viewed online or printed by the user, so I reduced this to 600 dpi.  Think I can reduce it more?

> 3. Now, still in Distiller, choose File > Open, and select the postscript
> file you produced in Step 1, saving it as PDF to the directory/file you
> specify.
>
> 4. After generation of the PDF file by Distiller, open Acrobat, and choose
> File > Open to open the PDF file produced in step 3. Although you turned
> on Optimize PDF in step 2, even more optimization (i.e., file size reduction)
> can be achieved in Acrobat by choosing File > Save As, with Optimize turned
> on in the Save As dialog. I've found that Distiller-optimized PDF can be
> reduced in size by as much as an additional 500% by saving with Optimize
> turned on
> in Acrobat 4.05.

Thank you very much for your help - after I went through checking everything in your mailnote, and produced my PDF, guess what?  The size was exactly the same as it was when it was produced with Acrobat 3.0.  I'm a happy camper again!

Thank you, thank you, thank you....

Suzette