Re: PDF File Size using FM6 and Acrobat 4.05

At 07:21 PM 2/25/01 -0800, Suzette Leeming wrote:

>That was done as well. I did notice though, that the Resolution was set to
>1200 dpi.  My manuals are either viewed online or printed by the user, so
>I reduced this to 600 dpi.  Think I can reduce it more?
If you had lots of graphics, knocking it down from 1200 to 600 would produce
a large reduction. I wouldn't reduce it any further, however
 > 2. After printing to the postscript file, open Acrobat Distiller, and first
 > chooose Settings > Job Options. In particular, look at the Compression
 > settings, at least turning on compression of text and line art. If you can
 > get away with compressing your graphics, definitely do so, since
 > graphic compression will greatly reduce file size.

>Aha! I checked this - and found that no compression was set (except for
>monochrome bitmap images). So I turned on Compression on the other two as well.

> > 4. After generation of the PDF file by Distiller, open Acrobat, and choose
> > File > Open to open the PDF file produced in step 3. Although you turned
> > on Optimize PDF in step 2, even more optimization (i.e., file size
> reduction)
> > can be achieved in Acrobat by choosing File > Save As, with Optimize turned
> > on in the Save As dialog. I've found that Distiller-optimized PDF can be
> > reduced in size by as much as an additional 500% by saving with Optimize
> > turned on
> > in Acrobat 4.05.
>
>Thank you very much for your help - after I went through checking
>everything in your mailnote, and produced my PDF, guess what?  The size
>was exactly the same as it was when it was produced with Acrobat 3.0.  I'm
>a happy camper again!
>
>Thank you, thank you, thank you....
It would be interesting for us all to know how much each of those things
you changed (i.e., changing from 1200 to 600 dpi, turning on graphic
compression, saving out of Acrobat with Optimize turned on) contributed
individually to the total file size reduction.

I recently produced 57,000+ PDF pages (in 31 files) for a client, splitting
them into three groups for zipping. The total size of the 3 zipfiles was
"only" 52 megabytes,
or about 0.912 megabytes per 1000 pages. Since the whole set of files had
to be ftp'd to the printing company, the drastic reductions, particularly
the large reductions in file size achieved by batch-optimizing the
Distiller PDFs in Acrobat, reduced the upload time to something that was
tolerable.The whole job from start-to-finish (not including upload time)
was done in about 50 hours. That included the following steps:
1. Database publishing using UniMerge to merge the database records with a
FrameMaker merging template to produce FrameMaker output files.
2. Producing postscript files from FrameMaker book files.
3. Distilling the postscript using Distiller 4.05a.
4. Batch-optimizing the PDFs with Acrobat 4.05a.
Most of the time was spent in generating the postscript files from
FrameMaker  book files containing an average of 1838 pages each, which
typically required about 40 minutes on a 400 MHz Pentium Win 98 platform
with 128 MB of memory.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
177 Riverside Ave., STE F, #1151, Newport Beach, CA 92663