Re: PDF File Size using FM6 and Acrobat 3.05

At 10:44 AM 2/25/01 -0800, Suzette Leeming wrote:
>Help!  I've upgraded all my documents from 5.5.6 to 6.0 (on Windows 98),
>and I am now using Acrobat 4.05, but when I create my PDF (using
>Distiller) a PDF file that used to be 1.8 meg is now 20.5 meg. What can I
>do to make the size more reasonable.
>
>Once I had my document open in FM 6, I did Format>Document>Optimize PDF
>size before I created the PDF. What am I doing wrong?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
1. Saving to PDF out of FrameMaker is a mistake, as attested to by Dov Isaacs,
the Adobe guru. Instead, use File > Print Setup to select Acrobat Distiller as
the printer in the Print Setup dialog. Also in the Print Dialog, click
Properties,
and set up the properties for producing the postscript for Distiller.
When this is done, choose File > Print to open the Print dialog, turn on
Print Only to File, and specify an appropriate postscript filename (with.ps
extension).
If you don't need bookmarks, turn off Generate Acrobat Data (turning on
Generate Acrobat Data is one of the main sources of file bloat).

2. After printing to the postscript file, open Acrobat Distiller, and first
chooose Settings > Job Options. In particular, look at the Compression
settings, at least turning on compression of text and line art. If you can
get away with compressing your graphics, definitely do so, since
graphic compression will greatly reduce file size. Also, under General
in the Job Options dialog, turn on Optimize PDF.

3. Now, still in Distiller, choose File > Open, and select the postscript
file you produced in Step 1, saving it as PDF to the directory/file you
specify.

4. After generation of the PDF file by Distiller, open Acrobat, and choose
File > Open to open the PDF file produced in step 3. Although you turned
on Optimize PDF in step 2, even more optimization (i.e., file size reduction)
can be achieved in Acrobat by choosing File > Save As, with Optimize turned
on in the Save As dialog. I've found that Distiller-optimized PDF can be
reduced in size by as much as an additional 500% by saving with Optimize
turned on
in Acrobat 4.05.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
177 Riverside Ave., STE F, #1151, Newport Beach, CA 92663