FM 6.0 Upgrade Annoyance

I bit the bug and ordered FM6.0. I received the product this morning and I
am already having trouble with it.

When I attempted to install the software, the Setup program warned me that
"______ is not a valid Adobe FrameMaker serial number." I tried the serial
number that came with the CD and the serial number of 5.5.6 (which I am
upgrading from). No dice.

I phoned the complimentary CustomerFirst phone number, which gave me another
phone number for installation and registration issues. I phoned that number
(fortunately, they are all toll-free) and spoke to a woman who told me that
the serial number plastered on the FM6.0 CD case and on the registration
form is for FM + SGML, not FM. So I can't install it. She gave me a case
number and yet another number to phone for customer support.

Two phone calls and I know what the problem is but not how to solve it.

I phone the third number, which identifies itself as >>PAGEMAKER<< Customer
Support. I hold the line anyway. Someone answers to inform me that all the
reps are busy, can he have my name and number so they can return my call. He
asks for my first name and then the phone number. I inform him of my last
name and remind him that we are not yet on a first-name-only basis. He
assumes I am married and refers to me once as "Mrs. Ross" and another time
as simply "Elizabeth". I tell him the nature of the problem and give him the
case number. I also clarify that this is indeed the Framemaker customer
support line. He takes the info and tells me someone will get back to me
soon.

Well, I've written this e-mail, read some others, refilled my cup of coffee
and still no return call. It's noontime, and soon I will go out to lunch.
I'll probably try and grab something quick in a vain attempt to not miss the
call, but I'm not optimistic. <sigh>

Here's hoping that the install of WWP and its subsequent upgrade are far
less painful so that I may actually get to authoring some HTML Help files
this week!

Good grief Charlie Brown! This is *pathetic*. I am rather concerned about
the lumping of FM support under Pagemaker. I am afraid this does not bode
well at all.

I hope someone out there has something to cheer me up. I'll let you know
what time the actual call comes in, in all fairness to Adobe. Current time:
11:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time.

--
Elizabeth Ross
Senior Technical Writer, V3 Semiconductor Corp.