Re: Constructing a glossary

At 11:54 AM 8/16/00 -0500, Jo Baer wrote:
----------------------------Snip---------------------------
>My guess is that if you were going to create a glossary entry, you'd enter
>the term followed by a colon followed by the definition, all in the
>little marker text box.

Yes, that's the way to do it, using the Glossary marker

>Anyone who can explain the process of building and generating a glossary
>this way will have my undying gratitude. Well, I'll be grateful at least
>until next Tuesday, which is probably about how long I'll remember who
>told me what. Or am I doomed to writing my glossaries the old-fashioned
>way?

Now to generate the glossary, choose File > Generate/Book, turn on
Index, select Index of Markers, and click the Generate button. Then, in the Set
Up Index Marker dialog, move the Glossary marker type
into the include list, and click Generate.

The Index will be generated (filename suffix IOM). Now you must now set
up the IOM file to produce the glossary in the format you want.
Normally, this would involve making the Level1IOM (glossary term) paragraph
format
a RunIn Head, so that the Level2IOM (definition) paragraph will appear on the
same line, indented by an appropriate amount. After you''ve got the
IOM file formatted as you want the glossary to look, save it so that
the stemname matches that of the book file (or the stemname of
the document file if there is no book). If the IOM file is part of the
book, add it at the appropriate place in the book.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646