Re: Book Chapter Ballooning in Size

At 11:51 AM -0700 14/08/00, Tom Regner wrote:
>Again, thanks for the information, Thomas.  That's some
>bug!  Lowering the image quality has helped a great deal.
>Converting to GIF (at 8 colors) didn't help much (I thought
>it would, but it did not).   The only reason we went with
>JPEG is that we have had success in the past with them
>(in much more limited form -- never 50 to a chapter)
>and because JPEG is supported.  I'm inclined to change
>all of the images to GIF because all of our vector images
>(for instance, those created in FrameMaker) are saved
>as GIF images for other books.

The one hitch is that changing from JPEG to GIF won't get back the lost data. If you had a lossless uncompressed format, like TIFF, to start with, then you could get GIF images that are not compromised. But if you're converting from JPEG to GIF any fuzzy high contrast areas are lost in the GIF as well, and the GIF is likely going to be larger than it would if it had been made directly from the screen or from a TIFF.

- web