Re: Book Chapter Ballooning in Size

Thanks, Thomas,

Most of the responses I've received have been similar to this one,
and yes, it is obvious that the chapter file size will increase if the
files are copied into the doc rather than importing by reference.

However, our style guide that we've been using since 1997
specifies that images should be embedded and not imported by
reference.  This is due to the type of network we are on and the
Perl scripts that we use.  Importing by reference sometimes
causes us unbelievable headaches (this is a long story).

The short version is that the JPEG screen shots, done on a
Windows machine, were not optimized and in fact showed
bizarre attributes when opened in Photoshop.  Things like
resolution of 14.93xxx and width of 45 inches in their native
screen capture form (JPEG, but with incredible overhead).
We were able to reduce the file sizes by about 2/3 by
painstakingly opening each one in Photoshop, changing the
resolution back to 72 dpi, cropping off the (often) excessive
extra space, and saving at a lower quality (fine for screens).

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond, and my
apologies for not answering everyone individually.

Best Regards,

-- Tom Regner