Re: Seeing Red from Word....

NOTE:	The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
	and directly to the original sender.

Joanne -

While you don't tell us the platform or versionof FrameMaker that you
are using (genneraly, important information to receive the most accurate
reply to a question), this is not difficult to decipher.

The "red" you're seeing is FrameMaker's conditional text indicator for
deleted information.  This is the result of importing a Word file that
had revision tracking set on.

To verify this, put your insertion point anywhere in the red text.
In the status bar, at the very lower left-hand corner of the document
window, you will see something like:

	(Deleted) Flow: A  PARA: Body

It is the (Deleted) that confirms this. FM reports the associated
condition tag for the content of the document parenthetically before
reporting the flow, paragraph and character tag information.

To delete the red only, open the Special>Conditional Text dialog.
Click on the tag Deleted in whatever list box it appears, and click
the "Edit Condition Tag" button.

In the resulting dialog, you have the choice to DELETE the condtion
tag from the document.  IF you do, you will be prompted to decide
whether to delete text associated only with this condition, or to
make it unconditional.  IF you make it unconditional, it will lose
the red color, and remain in the file.  IF you delete it, it will
be removed, and then nothing will remain to display in red.

| From: jwilliams@gwe.net (Joanne Williams)
| To: framers@FrameUsers.com
| Subject: Seeing Red from Word....
| Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 08:26:20 -0600
|
| There's always something interesting, isn't there?
|
| Am working on a document from another user created in Word to import into a
| book.  Saved to .rtf; in converting to FM, it comes up in red text with what
| looks like change bars to the left margin of each (real) paragraph.  I've
| gone into view/color/definitions and selected red, but the delete button
| grays out, and nada. Have selected all, and done the same thing.
| Suggestions?  Thanks!

-- Lester
 Lester C. Smalley               |  email: LSmalley@Infocon.com
 Information Consultants, Inc.   |  phone: (302) 239-2942
 Hockessin, DE  USA 19707-0310   |  fax:   (302) 239-1712