Re: FM on Linux = install nightmare

In article <3948B117.6968716D@cam.ac.uk>, "J. P. Blevins"
<jpb39@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

I have installed FM (under SuSE 6.4), received and installed multiple
licenses, but the program invariable fails to find them and starts up in
demo mode. Has anyone else encountered (and solved) a similar problem?

Mark Carmichael "My phone bill, my opinions." wrote:

This is probably the most commonly encountered problem with the current beta
release. It has a variety of possible causes.

First, there have been several reports of users installing licenses into a
"$HOME/fminit/licences" file; FrameMaker only looks for the file using the
U.S. english spelling "licenses". Based on your posting I doubt this is your
issue, but it bears pointing out.

In addition to finding the licenses, FrameMaker wants to talk to a
portmapper service on the local machine as part of its licensing enforcement
mechanism. If it can't, that will also result in demo mode.

It will try to do this by resolving the hostname of the machine, rather than
using a loopback address; the network configuration of the box must support
this.

Additionally, the usual Linux portmapper implementation has some special
security features built in; if the portmapper service refuses to talk to
FrameMaker, the result is demo mode.

Lastly, it is pretty common in some Linux distributions to leave the
portmapper service out entirely by default, or install it but not enable it
at boot time. The 'rpcinfo' program can be used to test this quickly; if it
isn't installed, chances are very good that the portmapper service isn't
around either...

SH:
I downloaded the FM linux beta to install on Redhat 6.0
but was daunted by the number of  installation problem
postings. Another factor I noticed was consistency of
permissions(same level). I researched thoroughly.

"Heaven is above all yet; there sits a judge that no king can
corrupt." -Shakespeare, King Henry VIII, III, i, 99.
Techtonic  Mnemonic