Re: two sets of users, two sets of change bars?

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.

From: "Catherine Geiszler" <cgeiszler@dsrnet.com>
> Info: Frame 5.5.6, beta version, run on Linux/Unix platform
> We are currently working on a set of Software Requirement Specifications
> (SRS).  We have engineers on both coasts working on revisions of the
> SRS.  Is there any way to set the change bars so that we can have two
> sets?  We would like to be able to readily identify which office has
> made the changes.

Not automatically. You could do it something like this:
When the document has been edited in one office, search for a
Character Format with change bars on (everything else As Is), and
replace all with a condition tag (By Pasting). Then clear all
change bars, and hide the conditional indicators.
This requires you to define a condition tag with suitable visible
properties, and to apply it and copy it (Copy Special) before the
search/replace is run.
When the document comes back from the second office, their changes
will have change bars, and the previous ones will have a conditional
indicator (when you show them).

Since you're on Linux, I assume you can make a keyboard macro that
automates all of this. The problem is to get the macro run in
between the two edits. Do you have control over the files at that
time?

This is a cludge, but it's the only thing I can come up with,
apart from changing your workflow to avoid the situation.

Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com   (Sweden)
  http://go.to/framers , or go directly to:
  http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers