Re: (Another) Frame bug not fixed in 6.0 -- Tables: the Phantom Font Menace

> When you're done,
> all paras stored for all table formats will have default font properties,
> and those properties WON'T be stored in the table formats
> (check the MIF and you'll see).
> They will come back if you later change your para definitions --
> whether this is bug or feature,
> tables keep the exact para properites they were defined with.
> They keep para properties for header, footer, and body rows,
> and for as many columns as you had in the table you did Update All from.

My solution to this bug/feature (I don't remember how long ago I learned it,
but it's an oldie), is this, and it's worked since at least Frame 4.

Create an instance of the table format that you want to change.

Create as many rows and columns of whatever type you want them to have.
(This mattered when I was using hand-nursed ASCII output from a mainframe
database for my appendices tables of hardware drawings.)

Apply all the correct paratags to your heading and body cells (and footing
cells if any) so that all the asterisks are gone, gone, gone. (Frame ain't
bright enough to learn more than one tag for each type of cell.)

In the Table Designer, DELETE the table format you want to change. (It's
still preserved, just like ghost paratags, in that table instance you have
in your working file. Never do this without a backup, of course.)

Click Apply to create the "new" table tag WITH all the new-table properties
set to match the example you're working with.

And, for the record, Patti Sokol (ace trainer and A.C.E. trainer, now)
taught a classful of Frame novices this method of working with tables in
Frame in....um, 1993. It still works last time I used it that I noticed, but
of course I could be wrong. I have been before.

Deborah Snavely, Senior Technical Writer, Aurigin Systems, Inc.