Re: Number of paragraph tags and adding new pages

At 04:13 PM 7/24/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I have a question for all you Frame "experts" out there. This is the first
>time I have posted to this list, but we are having a little controversy here
>that perhaps some of you might be able to settle.
>I am in charge of template development and maintenance in my department, and
>I have tried to keep the number of paragraph tags to a minimum, feeling that
>would contribute to ease of use.
>However, some of my users have requested that I add a number of tags set to
>begin at the top of the next page. I already have them for headings (Head1,
>Head1Top; Head2, Head2Top etc.) but I have resisted adding them to all the
>other tags (Numbered, bulleted, etc). I try to find other ways to split the
>document when needed (other than using a dreaded override, of course).
>I would like to hear from any of you who have feelings on how many paragraph
>tags make up an effective template, and hear any creative solutions you
>might have found for the page issue.
==================================
Why not create a PageBreak paragraph tag?. This format has a large space
below value, so large that anything you insert below it will be forced to
the top of the next page. The paragraph is not intended to contain any
text. This will eliminate the need for all paragraph tags whose sole
distinction is that Top of Page is turned on. Thus, you no longer need to
have tags like Head2Top, becuase any Head2 paragraph will be forced to the
top of a page if it is preceded by a PageBreak paragraph.
Replacement of all those xxxxTop tags by a single PageBreak tag will also
simplify the generation of TOCs, and make life easier for authors. Notice
also that you can find every forced page break in a document by using
Find/Replace to search for the PageBreak tag. Also moving a page break will
no longer entail changing to a different paragraph tag. Instead, you just
cut the PageBreak paragraph, and paste it at the new page break point.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646