RE: Number of paragraph tags and adding new pages

Dan Emory has suggested my own preferred approach to unavoidable page
breaks which cannot be handled by other approaches already mentioned
(Widows & Orphans, Keep With Next/Previous, etc.). Dan wrote:

>Why not create a PageBreak paragraph tag?. This format has a large space
>below value, so large that anything you insert below it will be forced to
>the top of the next page. The paragraph is not intended to contain any
>text. This will eliminate the need for all paragraph tags whose sole
>distinction is that Top of Page is turned on. Thus, you no longer need to
>have tags like Head2Top, becuase any Head2 paragraph will be forced to the
>top of a page if it is preceded by a PageBreak paragraph.
>Replacement of all those xxxxTop tags by a single PageBreak tag will also
>simplify the generation of TOCs, and make life easier for authors. Notice
>also that you can find every forced page break in a document by using
>Find/Replace to search for the PageBreak tag. Also moving a page break will
>no longer entail changing to a different paragraph tag. Instead, you just
>cut the PageBreak paragraph, and paste it at the new page break point.

We have tried a couple of other things over the years, but the above
approach is easier to work with, over all. Search and replace is easy
to use to remove them, for example. HOWEVER, I feel it is very
important to add one extra little twist to make it safer to manage
ANY kind of empty paragraphs, whether they're for supplying special
spacing features or page breaks or whatever.

Add a color to the default character formatting for the paragraph tag
and always work with Text Symbols showing so the paragraph symbols
will clearly announce the presence of these special empty
paragraphs!!! You might also do something useful with alignment and
indents if you like, so your color-coded paragraph symbols will
appear in a consistent, useful location. I also set the font to
something obviously "wrong" so it's even more obvious if you ever
accidentally start typing in a supposedly "empty", special-purpose
paragraph like that.

For example, our "pb PageBreak" paragraph tag (with 700 pt Space
Below for the page break effect) includes 10-pt Courier font with red
character formatting. Then when Show Text Symbols is on, the
paragraph symbols of the page break paragraphs always stand out
clearly for editing safety.

Incidentally, we also use a couple of kinds of blank spacer
paragraphs to simplify working with MS-Word files which already have
these paragraphs inserted around tables (cuz Word's tables are so
pathetic, of course), and they're set to Courier blue.

Works for me.

Regards,

David

--