Re: Why WebHelp in FM6?

At 09:33 PM 7/19/00 +0200, Thomas Michanek wrote:
>*** the News group comp.text.frame, and Adobe's User to User Forum
>*** for FM (http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx.fcgi?.ee6b312).
>*** Feel free to forward this question to the FrameUsers mailing list,
>*** since I no longer subscribe to it.
>
>I don't yet have FM 6.0, but I'm told that the former FM-based online
>help system is replaced by a WinHelp system.
>What are the reasons for this change of online help system?
>How well does it work on Macintosh and UNIX systems?
>Is the new help system really better than the old one, in functionality
>and/or contents?
>
>Personally, I would have thought that Adobe would be better off
>using a format of their own, like FM or PDF, or at least a completely
>platform- and vendor-independent format like HTML. Why not use one
>of the HTML formats offered by WebWorks Publisher? I don't get it.
>
>I mean, haven't even Microsoft stopped developing WinHelp and are
>completely changing over to HTML Help? (Microsoft-specific?)
>
>Please help me understand this format change!
Thomas, I don't believe there is any way to understand it without
trying to comprehend the growing incompetence of Adobe. The
on-line help has been declining ever since the introduction of V5.5,
and from what I understand (I don't have 6.0 either) the conversion
to WinHelp has made things even worse.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646