Opening FM 6 files in FM 5.5.6

We are in the process of hiring a new writer. Our group is
currently using FM 5.5.6 and it looks like we will have to
purchase a copy of FM 6 for the new person. We are hoping to
avoid upgrading the entire group.

My understanding is that it is not easy to move files from
newer versions of FM to older versions of FM, and certainly
not practical if files are moved between versions on a
frequent basis.

Has anyone out there tried to open a FM 6 file in FM 5.5.6?

We aren't keen on the idea of upgrading because we just
don't think the new features are worth the price of
admission. But, if we have to...

Thanks for your help.

Doug