Re: Opening FM 6 files in FM 5.5.6

Two answers, Doug,

1. 	I haven't done this for Frame 6 to 5.5, but I've done it from Frame
5.5 to 5.1 and Frame 5.0 to 4.0; you SAVE the Frame file as MIF from 6.0,
and open it from 5.5.6. Then you wait; in the 5.5. to 5.1 version, it was a
pretty durn long wait (while the down-rev FrameMaker Console reports how
many unsupported features it's skipping!).

	Not recommended for frequent round-tripping.

2. 	I once faced the same situation for a group of illustrators; we used
Illustrator 3.2, Adobe was only selling 5.0 licenses, company didn't want to
pay to re-train or upgrade hardware and ram and OSes to support the new
piggy version AND the illustrators didn't want to change over. Solution was,
we bought 5.0 licenses and installed dupes of our half-dozen 3.2 licenses.
*	For Illustrator, this was a nuisance because if you had the dupe of
someone else's serial number and their copy was live and network-connected
when you brought it up, Adobe's net-aware stuff (intended, I think, for
server-based license admin) wouldn't let you open a second copy with that #.
(Workaround was to unplug your Ethernet connection, start Illustrator, then
re-connect. A livable nuisance)
*	For FrameMaker, I don't think it checks network serial numbers in
pre-6.0 releases, despite having had some sort of support for server-based
licenses (as I vaguely seem to recall).
	I'm NOT recommending piracy, but I figured our approach would
survive an audit, though the question never came up; I did have to explain
it once or twice to our IT people.

3. 	Another option is to surf the online auctions and see if you can
scout up a copy of any version of FrameMaker 5.5 for your platform. On Mac
and Windows, at least, the 5.5 serial numbers are good for any version from
5.5.0 through 5.5.6. It's only 4-5 months passee, and the odds are there are
hundreds of shrinkwrap licenses floating around in the system somewhere.

Best of luck,

Deborah Snavely, Senior Technical Writer, Aurigin Systems, Inc.