Why WebHelp in FM6?

*** the News group comp.text.frame, and Adobe's User to User Forum
*** for FM (http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx.fcgi?.ee6b312).
*** Feel free to forward this question to the FrameUsers mailing list,
*** since I no longer subscribe to it.

I don't yet have FM 6.0, but I'm told that the former FM-based online
help system is replaced by a WinHelp system.
What are the reasons for this change of online help system?
How well does it work on Macintosh and UNIX systems?
Is the new help system really better than the old one, in functionality
and/or contents?

Personally, I would have thought that Adobe would be better off
using a format of their own, like FM or PDF, or at least a completely
platform- and vendor-independent format like HTML. Why not use one
of the HTML formats offered by WebWorks Publisher? I don't get it.

I mean, haven't even Microsoft stopped developing WinHelp and are
completely changing over to HTML Help? (Microsoft-specific?)

Please help me understand this format change!

Thomas Michanek, [Michagon], Linkoping, Sweden
       FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF/scripting expert
EMAIL: mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
WWW:   http://go.to/framers , or go directly to:
       http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers
       *  U P D A T E D   O N   J U N E   2 6  *