RE: Future of FrameMaker: InDesign?

At 10:58 PM 7/3/00 -0500, David Cramer wrote:
>Yes, I agree. I guess one of my fears is that XML markup will be
>unusable for many format oriented products. I have often noticed a
>dismissive attitude of SGML/XML advocates toward formatting in
>general. If all printed/webbed output were to be represented
>accurately in a Venn diagram, I believe the circle for
>format-oriented material would overlap the one for
>content-object-oriented material; but some of the SGML/XML proponents
>seem to want me to believe that the content-object-oriented circle
>would contain everything. Oh well, wishful thinking motivated by a
>desire to market one's SGML/XML skills or product are understandable
>;-)
>------------------------------Snip-------------------
I know this will make most people gag, but here is an excerpt of a review
discussing the way formatting is introduced into  XML by Word 2000, which
is typical of how it's done by other Office 2000 components.
So let's examine the code produced by Word 2000 for a couple of simple
examples. For these tests, I am running Beta 9.0.2216 on Windows 98. I
wrote a one-page document with the single line "Hello World!" and saved it
to an HTML-formatted file. When I view the source, I have a rather lengthy
page of text. The header of the page includes all sorts of font metric
definitions and meta tags and file information. The first few lines look
like this:
xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"
xmlns="-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN">

But the really interesting part is the body copy, which looks like this:

style='mso-bidi-font-weight:
normal'><span
style='font-size:20.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt;color:#3366FF'>Hello

You'll notice that the font size (20 point), font color, justification
(centered), and bold text is all preserved with this code fragment. The
reference to the class "MsoNormal" is defined in the style section earlier
as Times New Roman, which is the font I used in my Word document.
So, Microsoft simply puts all of the formatting info into element
attributes. If this XML document were FTP'd to another site and opened in
Word 2000 there, the result would be a replica of the original Word
document. Of course, if you tried to open it in some other software product
that couldn't process the attributes, you'd just get "Hello World" in the
default format.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646