Re: catalog cleanup vs. conditional text

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers list.

From: "Suzanne Bolduc" <suzanneb@cst.ca>
> Whenever I'm handed a book with paragraph and character tag catalogs
> cluttered with countless unused and useless legacy tags, I have this
> urge and I clean it up by wiping the catalogs and using the Create and
> Apply Formats utility.

If you want to automatically delete tags in catalogs that aren't
actually used anywhere in your document, you could use external
utilities:

- For Windows, you can take a look at Caxton's Xtras utilities
  DocTools and TemplateTools ($199):
  http://www.caxton-inc.com/xtras.html#doctools

- For Windows and Mac, you can also use Systec's Toolbox (cost unknown):
  http://www.systec-gmbh.com/toolbox/eindex.html
  http://www.systec-gmbh.com/pdfs/bf20us.pdf

- There are also FrameScripts available for this ($150 + $150):
  http://www.frameexpert.com/scripts/scriptlist.html

- For UNIX, you can use my free MIF scripts to clean out, report, print
  out, and compare all formats in a document or book:
  http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers/mifscripts/

If there's interest, I could port these scripts to platform-independent
Perl scripts.

Thomas Michanek, [Michagon], Linkoping, Sweden
       FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF/scripting expert
EMAIL: mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
WWW:   http://go.to/framers , or go directly to:
       http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers
       *  U P D A T E D   O N   J U N E   2 6  *