Re: Missing Fonts Message - Just Don't Understand

Eric -

the two most likely places for the 'unused' fonts to stay defined in a
document are: in the paragraph formats used for tables, which might not
appear in the paragraph catalog; or on the Reference and Master pages,
especially for the labels on the reference pages, or header/footer styles
not saved in the catalogs.

Try inserting a sample table of every defined style in a document, and
then checking the cells for the fonts used.

And switch to the Master pages, and Reference pages in turn, and search
for the fonts (via the Find/Change -> find character formats feature).

This should get you the info you want of where these are used. To clean
the unwanted fonts out completely, you will need to re-tag everything to
use only the desired fonts.

The labels, headers and footers are straight-forward to fix.  The tables
are a bit more difficult.

You will need to DELETE the table styles from the documement, and recreate
them. Must simpler if you have inserted a sample of each in the file first.

When you create a table style (the _very first time_ a format is stored in
the table catalog), FM also records the paragraph tags and their definitions
used in the cells.  SO, if the fonts is 'saved' in one of these definitions,
and it is not in the catalog, you don't have an easy way to update those
tags to use your fonts.

-- Lester
 Lester C. Smalley               |  email: LSmalley@Infocon.com
 Information Consultants, Inc.   |  phone: (302) 239-2942
 Hockessin, DE  USA 19707-0310   |  fax:   (302) 239-1712
  * Adobe Certified Expert -- FrameMaker and FrameMaker+SGML *
INFOCON is an ADOBE Solution Sales Provider offering hardware and
software focused on integrated office solutions for productivity.
                     http://www.infocon.com/