Re: problem with variables in generated files

> I have a set of files containing headings where the level of the heading is
> indicated by the font size. These files contain many instances of product
> names where the product name is in a font different from the font used for
> the text in the file. The product names are stored as variables. I have
> defined a variable for each font size of each product name. Where a product
> name is used in a heading, I use the product name variable which matches the
> size of the heading.

I guess you have defined different character tags for the different font sizes
and then defined the variables as "<ProductSizeX>Product Name<Default P Font>"?
But, if the variables' font size matches the font size of the heading, why
do you include the size at all in the character tag? You could simply let the
font size default to the font size of the heading by setting it to "As Is"
in the character tag's definition.

> My TOC entries, i.e the headings from the chapter files, as defined on the
> reference page, are all the same font size - which is my preferred
> appearance for the TOC *but* where the TOC entry is a heading containing a
> product name, the product name is the variable of the appropriate size for
> the heading NOT for the TOC entry. Naturally, this looks dreadful.

Font size changes used in a character tag are transferred to a TOC.
Try to use the "As Is" setting for the font size in the character tag,
as explained above.

Thomas Michanek, [Michagon], Linkoping, Sweden
Documentation Consultant, FrameMaker/UNIX expert
EMAIL:  mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
WWW:    http://go.to/framers , or go directly to:
        http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers